Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 13:54:51 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        james@miller.cs.uwm.edu (Jim Lowe), dufault@hda.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, multimedia@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: Amancio's tv program with capture!

>>> Terry Lambert said:

 > What is it you want, and what does any of this have to do with Xshm?

Well okay, let me try to clarify the issue.

tv mmaps a region to be used by the matrox meteor to dump the
data to:
    yuv_data = (uint8 *)mmap((caddr_t)0, frame_size,
				PROT_READ,0, video, (off_t)0);
---

The Xshm memory bits comes into play like this:

	ximage = XShmCreateImage (display, fc_visual, depth, ZPixmap,
				  NULL, &shminfo, vid_stream->mb_width,
				  vid_stream->mb_height);
	shminfo.shmid = shmget (IPC_PRIVATE,
				ximage->bytes_per_line * ximage->height,
				IPC_CREAT | 0777);
	shminfo.shmaddr = ximage->data = shmat (shminfo.shmid, 0, 0);
	shminfo.readOnly = True;
	XShmAttach (display, &shminfo);

---
What we want is to dump the data that the meteor captures directly
into the card's frame buffer.

If you don't understand this then lets take this privately between Jim, you
and I.

	Thats all folks,
	Amancio