Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:25:43 -0500
From:      Shawn Carey <smc@servtech.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone else seen this?

Hello,

A program my company develops and delivers on FreeBSD started behaving
oddly at times when I upgraded from 2.1.5 to 2.2-ALPHA.  The oddity was
that gdb would occasionally reload the executable (and sometimes shared
libs, too) when nothing had been rebuilt.  I initially thought it was a
quirk with gdb, and things seemed to work fine otherwise, so I left it
alone.

Now that we are running 2.2-RELEASE, this anomaly appears to be
something more serious than I originally thought, as gdb now stops the
program with the message "Process killed due to text file modification",
and sure enough, the file's date is changing but a diff between an idle
copy and the "modified" executable is nil.  Furthermore, I have recently
discovered that if I link the program with -static, the problem goes
away.

Linking statically is a fix that is good enough for me, but I would be
interested in helping to find out what's going on if anyone thinks this
is worth more investigation.  I have already emailed John Polstra, who
says he has seen similar occurences, and John Dyson, who seems to have a
full plate at the moment.

Thanks,
-Shawn Carey