Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:31:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.hda.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   memorylocked resource (was "Setting memory allocators...")

Why is the mlock(2) call restricted to the super user instead
of enforcing it through per-user or per-login class limits?
I was checking to see if most of the pieces were in place for
"mlockall(MCL_FUTURE)" and noticed the "memorylocked infinity"
setting in limits (I didn't know about memorylocked).  Setting
"memorylocked 0" for normal users is a flexible way to address
this, then create a special class of programs that are permitted
to do some locking.

Along the same lines (matt probably knows the answer) is it
easy to force paging in and locking down of any memory associated
with a process so that mlockall(MCL_FUTURE) together with
an appropriate memorylocked limit gives the requested
memory semantics?  I'd have to check through the specs to see
how mmap() is supposed to play with mlockall().

Please leave aside most resource management issues
for now, I'm assuming the main use for this is debugged
small closed embedded systems, only bring up kickers.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Fail-Safe systems, Agency approval