Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 02:42:34 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   What changed in ld?

I have recently upgraded from FreeBSD 3.1 to 4.3-20010525-STABLE.

I wrote a very simple assembly language program that was giving me
a bus error. For several hours I have been trying to find what was
wrong with it, but could not.

Finally, out of desperation, I moved uninitialized data from .bss
to .data, and suddenly the program worked without a problem.

This puzzled me, so I used ld on an older program of mine, one of
the programs from my assembly language tutorial
(http://www.int80h.org/bsdasm/). It started giving me the same
bus errors. The version I created under 3.1 continues to work
fine.

That tells me something has changed in the way ld handles the .bss
section between 3.1 and 4.3 - either on purpose or as a bug.
This completely invalidates my assembly language tutorial. If the
change was on purpose, can someone please tell me what new switch
I need to use with ld to recognize the .bss section as being bss?

Thank you,
Adam
--
Perfection is for neurotics