Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:36:48 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        dever@getaclue.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

Douglas A Dever <dever@getaclue.net> writes:
> Some blacklisters have different criteria than others.  The only
> time I know of Steve Linford's SBL adding a block that was not a
> spamhaus was when they recently added Verio's corporate mail servers
> to force an issue.  Some lists try to keep innocents from being
> caught up in the rbl.  Other lists are run like SPEWS.  In the words
> of one hollywood Knight, "You must choose, but choose wisely..."

Yes, and up until recently I've had no problem with others choosing to
delegate censorship to an outside "authority" ... as long as that
doesn't affect me or my users. =)

The practice of widening the blacklist coverage to force complaints is
not only dishonorable but I highly question the effectiveness thereof.
I understand that at least one person I know is actually switching
ISPs over this issue, preferring to find one that doesn't use blacklists.

> Assuming one considers an autogenerated, harvested list being fed
> into a mass mailing application to truely be "human to human"
> communication...

Well, I do. Do you watch television? (I dont anymore because of the
commercials.) Do you drive on the road? Do you read magazines?
Guess what? It's humans that create those ads. ;)

It would surprise many old-timer people who know me to know that I
despise commercials and marketed advertising. Nevertheless, to allow
one evil to justify another is yet a third evil.

> Both are good and easily implemented solutions.  Now we come back to
> trying to make people understand something forceably. :-)

This is an age old problem of course. If you manage to do this, you get
programmable human robots. No more intellectual freedom. ;)
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

The king arrived at the resturant where Nasrudin had been
left in charge. The king ordered an omelette. After his
meal, when he saw the check he raised his eyebrows. "Eggs
must be very costly here. Are they as scarce as that?"

"It is not the eggs, your majesty...it is the visits of
kings."