Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:49:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 1:1 threading.

Daniel Eischen writes:
 > On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Jeff Roberson wrote:
 >
 > > On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Daniel Eischen wrote:
 > >
 > > Which means they are likely to change.  I do not want to develop on
 > > unstable APIs and unstable kernel code.  kern_thr.c is 254 lines.  I think
 > > we can handle a little duplication.  I'm not sure why the objection is so
 > > strong.
 >
 > I don't see kse_create() changing since it takes a
 > mailbox pointer as an argument and you can theoretically
 > hang anything off the [versioned] mailbox.

According to the 5-stable roadmap at
	  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/5-roadmap/major-issues.html

   KSE kernel and userland components must be functionality complete
   by June 2003 in order to be included in the RELENG_5 branch. For
   security and stability reasons, if KSE cannot be finished in time
   then, by default, all KSE-specific syscalls should be modified to
   return ENOSYS and all other KSE-specific interfaces disabled.

By not depending on KSE infastructure, the 1:1 can still be available
in 5.1 in exactly the same fore regardless of whether or not KSE makes
the June deadline or not.

Drew