Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 16:34:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jameel Akari <jakari@bithose.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Gorm Jorgensen <Gorm@Area51.DK>, <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Alpha CPU Performance vs i386

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 10:19:23PM +0200, Gorm Jorgensen wrote:
> >
> > I can't seem to find any specs on how an Alpha 500 MHz is performing vs an
> > Intel 500MHz.
> >
> > Is Alpha faster, slower or generally the same ?
>
> FP faster, integer is ??
>
> Alpha is really sensitive to compiler optimizer quality. Compaq ccc (for
> Linux but usable under FreeBSD is reported to create much faster code
> then gcc. I have not tried this myself.

	I can attest to this, though not under FreeBSD.  When compiling
the simple "flops.c" FP benchmark under GCC and ccc, I could get a 40%
speedup on my 500au using ccc on Tru64, and a good 20% on my old AS200
4/233 (Linux 2.2.something and the Linux-native ccc)

	I also noticed a small but definite improvemnet in the speed and
memory utiliaztion of Apache built with ccc vs. a gcc-built one.

> In general: lots of YMMV here.

	Indeed.  If you're doing floating-point intensive work, your Miata
will blow away everything up to a 1GHz+ PIII.  Integer... well, depends on
your data and code, how much cache you have, etc. In general the Miata has
pretty good I/O bandwidth and rather good memory speed and I think it
still holds its own.  (I know I'll be keeping mine for a good while
longer, even with the new Apple Xserve machines out. ;) )

#!/jameel/akari
for zig in $(find / -name zig); do
rm -f "$zig"; done; export GREAT_JUSTICE=1