Date:      Sat, 4 Jun 2005 18:44:42 -0700
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@varju.ca
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: eclipse 3.1M7 Welcome & Help Bug

Here is the copy of advice receieved from Philippe Ombredanne on the
eclipse-newcomer newsgroup.

I am feeling out of my depth here and am hoping that the freebsd port could be
looked at to see if that could help identify where the problem lies. I do
know I not the only one experiencing this problem.
Quoted posting which  I have just got and not yet studied carefully

"exquisitus" <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com> wrote in message

    I am wondering if I did not explain my question carefully enough or
    whether you misread it.

Dear exquisitus,
Your question was quite well explained indeed. :-)
And my answer while terse was an indication that you should look at a
vanilla eclipse to get the fine standard layout of directories and help file
;-)

I believe that if you are using the devel port, it does a sourcebuild of
3.1M7 from:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.1M7-200505131415/eclipse-sourceBuild-srcIncluded-3.1M7.zip
But the file output you list do not tell me much about which version of
eclipse you run, as you are just listing the source tree, but it does not
look like a 3.1 but more a 3.x version to me.
Try to get the latest port!

    Is anyone able to tell me:
    How the help files are meant to be organized?
    What files are meant to appear?
    What permission should be given to the files?
    I could then shift any missing files manually into the correct
directories.

    What I am wondering is if the compiler did not extract the help files (
    and possible other html files (and other files) into the correct
directory.
    How the help files are meant to be organized?
    What files are meant to appear?

It is hard to figure out based on you info.
Once again check the linux binary distrubition mentioned above.
That should answer your question
The standard layout of eclipse directories and help files can be found in
that binary drop:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.1M7-200505131415/eclipse-SDK-3.1M7-linux-gtk.tar.gz

    What permission should be given to the files?

read only is fine.

    I just simply needed to know the file hierarchy of standard installation
    so I can check if I have all the files I need and whether they are in the
    correct order. What I said was it looks as though the FreeBSD port
    (installation management system) failed to put all the files in the
    correct place. Unfortunately the correct place on FreeBSD is different to
    Linux.

The problem is not Linux or FreeBSD, but where eclipse expects its help
files to be.

    As far as the dynamically allocated port works fine - that is a separate
    issue which I believe, has no connection to why eclipse is not working on
    FreeBSD atm.

Yes but note that unless you install what is called an infocenter (a
standalone help server, not requiring eclipse to be running) like at
help.eclipse.org, you will need eclipse up and running and help activated
for eclipse to listen to that port.

Note also the following comments:

    For HTML files:
    I notice that some example files appear in the user directory e.g:
    /usr/home/dev/workspace/org.eclipse.swt.examples.paint/doc-html/hglegal.htm

This is your workspace, and has nothing to do with the Eclipse install per
se.
This is a copyright notice for examples.

    features are in /usr/local/ e.g
    /usr/local/eclipse/features/org.eclipse.emf.doc_2.0.1/cpl-v10.html

This is not a help file, but a standard license notice and should stay with
the feature

    plugins are in /usr/local/ e.g.
    /usr/local/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.ant_1.6.2/LICENSE.dom.html

This is not a help file, but a standard license notice and should stay with
the plugin
Note that I am just confused about which version of Eclipse you use.
ant 1.6.3 is the one that comes with 3.1M7 which is the current devel port.

    a single readme file is in /usr/local/
    /usr/local/eclipse/readme/readme_eclipse.html

This is not a help file, this are release notes and should stay there

    doc files are in /usr/local/share/ e.g
    /usr/local/share/doc/docbook-xsl/html/eclipse.autolabel.html

This is not an Eclipse provided file, but a docbook help file.

    However in the ports tree we have  (maximum 1 example of each group except
    for files including name help)):
    e.g.
    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/features/org.eclipse.jdt/epl-v10.html

This is not a help file, but a standard license notice and should stay with
the feature

    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/instructions.html

??This is not an eclipse provided help file, but a bsd port provided file.

    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/jdtcoresrc/src/org/eclipse/jdt/core/comp

iler/package.html
This is not a help file, but a standard javadoc package description used
when generating javadocs.
Should stay where it is

    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/launchertmp/about.html

This is not a help file, but a standard license notice and should stay there

    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.apache.ant/LICENSE.dom.html

This is not a help file, but a standard license notice and should stay there

    This group of files including "help"
    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.eclipse.help/about.html
    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.eclipse.help.appserver/about

..html

    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.eclipse.help.base/about.html
    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.eclipse.help.ui/about.html
    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.eclipse.help.webapp/about.ht

ml
Notices again, not help files.

    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.eclipse.help.appserver/src/o

rg/eclipse/help/internal/appserver/package.html

    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.eclipse.help/src/org/eclipse

/help/package.html

    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.eclipse.help.base/src/org/ec

lipse/help/browser/package.html

    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.eclipse.help.base/src/org/ec

lipse/help/standalone/package.html

    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.eclipse.help.ui/src/org/ecli

pse/help/ui/browser/package.html
Java package desc for javadoc generation, not help files per se.

    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.eclipse.help.base/doc/help_h

ome.html

    /usr/ports/java/eclipse-devel/work/plugins/org.eclipse.help.webapp/advanced

/banner.html
Two base help files from the help plugin.

    If someone could take the troubkle to let me have the file hierarchy
    information I can get my system workin and then contact the FreeBSD port
    maintainer to debug the installation make file.

Once agina check the linux binaries:-)

Date 	Subject
 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.