Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:09:39 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Martin Laabs <martin.laabs@mailbox.tu-dresden.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org" <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: linux-libusb done

Quoting Martin Laabs <martin.laabs@mailbox.tu-dresden.de> (from Mon, =20
27 Oct 2008 10:27:17 +0100):

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:52:52 +0100, Roman Divacky =20
> <rdivacky@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> please show us the linuxulator patch and I'll see what I can do about it.=
..

> I've append the patch for the linux.ko module as well as the patch for the
> bsd.c in libusb-0.12.

I don't comment on the content, Roman already did. I concentrate on =20
the "pureness" of the linuxulator.

What you do here is mixing FreeBSD ioctls with linux ones. While I =20
welcome this for sure, I suggest to not enable it by default. I =20
suggest to have a sysctl compat.linux.bsd_ioctl_passthrough or =20
something like this, which enables this upon request. Currently it =20
seems the ioctls are distinct, but in case there will be some ioctls =20
which are the same number but have a different semantic/syntax, the =20
sysctl-approach make this a little bit more easy to handle (it means =20
that the feature is optional and needs to be enable by intend, and if =20
there's a clash in the future, we have some safety net).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity.
Another man's, I mean.
=09=09-- Mark Twain

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137