Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:50:25 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no dirty bufs panics any more...

A quick and dirty circumvention might be to put the following in
rc.shutdown until the root cause of the panics can be found and
fixed.  I use something similar to this to unmount NFS filesystems
to avoid a panic during 2.2 shutdown.

# Quick and dirty fix for dirty buffer panic during shutdown
for I in `df -tmfs | awk 'NR > 1 {print $6}'`; do
    for J in `fstat -f $I | awk 'NR > 1 {print $3}'`; do
	kill $J
    done
done
sleep 20
for I in `df -tmfs | awk 'NR > 1 {print $6}'`; do
    for J in `fstat -f $I | awk 'NR > 1 {print $3}'`; do
	kill -9 $J
    done
done
sleep 10
umount -vatmfs || echo MFS umount failed.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC