Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:58:07 -0400
From:      Eric Rivas <rivas45@sprintmail.com>
To:        Renaud Waldura <renaud@waldura.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating ported software

Renaud Waldura wrote:

> Dear freebsd-ports,
>
> I'm still confused as to what the Right Method for updating ports is.
> I manage to update my "ports" collection just fine, using cvsup,
> but I'm not sure I understand what I'm supposed to do from there.
>
> I hope you won't mind my explaining with an example. I first installed
> my favorite port "foo" in version 1.0. I did so by installing the
> "Ports collection" from sysinstall, going to /usr/ports/tools/foo, and
> running "make install". I then have the binary foo in version 1.0 and I'm
> happy.
>
> I then updated my ports with cvsup, and now the Makefile for foo says it
> is in version 1.1, but the foo binary itself is still in version 1.0. Hence
> my first question: is there a way to automatically rebuild updated ports?
>
> OK, so now I want to update foo, the binary. I found this message in
> the list archives:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2130511+2132232+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000116.freebsd-questions
>
> that basically says to run:
> > 1) make clean       [delete source code]
> > 2) make deinstall   [uninstall binary package(s)]
> > 3) make install     [build and install from new port]
>
> but after running "make clean", "make deinstall" fails saying it doesn't
> find the right version of the port to uninstall. It tries to uninstall
> foo version 1.1 using the updated Makefile, when the version of the foo
> that is actually installed is 1.0.
>
> "Make install" works just fine and rebuilds & installs the updated port, but
> does so by (I'm guessing) overwriting the old version 1.0. My second
> question is: how do I uninstall an updated port before rebuilding it?
>
> Thank you very much for shining some light on this issue,
>
> --Renaud

Before you install the new version you need to uninstall the old
version.  Do a "pkg_info | grep <portname>" to get the old ports
complete name and version number.  Then do (as root) a "pkg_delete
<portname-ver>".  That should get rid of the old version.  After this
you can install the newer version as you described above.

For example to update mutt:

$ pkg_info | grep mutt		# Get the old port version
mutt-1.2            "The Mongrel of Mail User Agents" (part Elm, Pine,
mh)
$ su				# su to root
Password:
root# pkg_delete mutt-1.2	# deinstall the old one
root# cd /usr/ports/mail/mutt/	# cd to port dir
root# make install clean	# install mutt

Hope I was helpful.

--
Eric J. Rivas <rivas45@sprintmail.com>
WWW: http://home.sprintmail.com/~rivas45/

"I can't wait till I'm out of school, so I can start learning things!"