Date:      Sat, 09 Mar 2002 22:04:41 -0500
From:      Jud <jud@operamail.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Fook Sheng Chan <chanfs16@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD over WinNT and Win2000

3/7/2002 9:48:23 PM, Fook Sheng Chan <chanfs16@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>  Date:   Thu, 7 Mar 2002 18:48:23 -0800 (PST)
>  From:   Fook Sheng Chan <chanfs16@yahoo.com>
>
>  Subject:Installing FreeBSD over WinNT and Win2000
>  To:     FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>

>  Hi
>
>  I have a 20G harddisk. The first 4GB is Windows NT(c:\). The next
4GB is
>  Windows 2000 (D:\). The rest is not partitioned.
>

>  But when I tried to install FreeBSD 4.4.1, I can only see the first 4GB
>  partition (c:\), and the rest ( D drive and the free space) appears as
one
>  USED partition. So I will be forced to deleted this partition in order to
>  install FreeBSD, I'm hoping that you may tell me an alternative.
>

>  All help are appreciated.
>
>  Thank you
>

>  Fook Sheng

Hello, Fook Sheng.

When installing Win2000 on a drive where Win9x or WinNT already
exists, an extended partition is automagically created that covers
everything the older Windows version doesn't. In other words, on your
20gb drive, where the first 4gb are WinNT, a 16gb extended partition is
created covering the rest of the drive. Your 4gb Win2000 partition is
then (again automatically) configured as a logical partition within this
extended partition. So what FreeBSD is showing you is correct. If you
boot using DOS, fdisk will show you the same information.

I am sure others will have more elegant solutions, but what I did in a
similar situation (Win98, Win2000, FreeBSD) was to install FreeBSD
second on the disk after Win98, then install Win2000 third. If you don't
want to delete your existing Win2000 installation, then one of the
available partitioning utilities may allow you to move it. Partition Magic is
probably the best known. I also once used BootIt NG (shareware,
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/) to do some resizing and moving of
partitions and it worked well, though it was not the situation involving
logical-partition-within-extended-partition we're discussing here.

Jud