Date:      Thu, 4 May 2006 17:39:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, nospam@mgedv.net
Subject:   Re: Jails and loopback interfaces

No@SPAM@mgEDV.net <nospam@mgedv.net> wrote:

 > > In fact, it is a good idea to _always_ bind jails to non-
 > > routable loopback IPs.  For example:
 > >
 > >    jail 1 (webserver) on 127.0.0.2
 > >    jail 2 (database)  on 127.0.0.3
 > >
 > > If a service needs to be accessible from the outside, you
 > > can use IPFW FWD rules to forward packets destined to the
 > > real IP to the jail's loopback IP.
 >
 > ok, technically i get this, but wouldn't it confuse the daemons

No, it doesn't confuse the daemons.  Why should it?

 > and slow down the network connections if i use packet forwarding
 > for each packet let's say a daemon reads from syslog-services
 > and writes to databases?

No, the overhead is negligible.  The only thing that IPFW
FWD does is to adjust the forwarding path of the packet.

 > > Of course there's no problem accessing the database from
 > > the webserver.  Note that you have complete control over
 > > who can access what, by using your favourite packet filter
 > > (IPFW, IPF, PF).
 >
 > this part i definitely don't get. let's assume this one:
 >
 > 192.168.10.1 = jail ip of the ws
 > 127.0.0.1 = jail ip of the db

Don't use those IPs.  In particular it's probably not a
good idea to use localhost as a jail IP.  Use only loopback
IPs (other than localhost), like the example that I wrote
above.

And of course you should use appropriate packetfilter
rules to enforce what kind of access between the jails
is allowed.  Only allow what you need.

Best regards
   Oliver

"... there are two ways of constructing a software design:  One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies and
the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no _obvious_
deficiencies."        -- C.A.R. Hoare, ACM Turing Award Lecture, 1980