Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 20:02:05 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        wjw@digi.digiware.nl (Willem Jan Withagen)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Variant Link implementation, continued

> I have actual working code for this.
> At the moment every variantlink gets replaced by '2.2.6', since that is my
> current OS version.

That's really cool!  Apollo, here we come! ;-)

>     -	How can I efficiently obtain the value of a sysctl value?
> 	And should they look like 'variant.name', or would/should a
> 	variant link be able to look like:
> 		kern.osrelease: 2.2.6-STABLE

I would expect any sysctl expansion to just use the current names,
e.g. /usr/tmp/${kern.osrelease} would pretty much do what you'd expect.

>     -	It seems that names are allocated from within the kernel
> 	upon startup, nothing dynamic. Is there any work in progress to make
> 	this more flexible? I could start by first creating a standard set
> 	of names.

I don't know if there's any work ongoing here or not.  It's defintely
a problem that they're currently created with a static linker set
and I don't know of any way to create them at "runtime".

>     *	An alternative would be: How do I obtain the environment of the
> 	process using the link? (assuming it has nog messed with its
> 	*env-pointer)

Hooboy.  That's the holy grail for variant symlink behavior, of
course, but it's not information which is at all easy to get ahold of
in the current implementation. :-(

- Jordan