Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 22:47:25 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   fetchmail in daemon mode & error messages

The fetchmail manual says the following about running fetchmail in daemon
mode.
The --syslog option (keyword: set syslog) allows you to redirect status and
error messages emitted to the syslog(3) system daemon if available. Messages
are logged with an id of fetchmail, the facility LOG_MAIL, and priorities
LOG_ERR, LOG_ALERT or LOG_INFO. This option is intended for logging status
and error messages which indicate the status of the daemon and the results
while fetching mail from the server(s). Error messages for command line
options and parsing the .fetchmailrc file are still written to stderr, or to
the specified log file. The --nosyslog option turns off use of syslog(3),
assuming it's turned on in the ~/.fetchmailrc file, or that the -L
or --logfile <file> option was used.
I can not decipher what this is trying to say.
In daemon mode
1. Where do the error messages go if the syslog option is not used?
2. If I use  set syslog local2  in the .fetchmailrc what would happen?
3. Can I say  set syslog fetchmail?
4. If I do not put anything in syslog.conf for fetchmail, does that mean
error messages go to the byte bucket and do not show up any where?
5. What should be put in syslog.conf to direct the error messages to a file?