Date:      19 Feb 2001 13:24:33 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw not logging

Hi again all,

I have ipfw setup on my system now. At the moment, I have a fairly
simple script that sets up some very simple rules for testing.

The script is as follows:

#!/bin/bash

FW_CMD=/sbin/ipfw

$FW_CMD -f flush
$FW_CMD add reject log tcp from any to 192.168.2.253 23
$FW_CMD add allow ip from any to any

After executing this script, the output of ipfw l looks like
00100 unreach host log logamount 30 tcp from any to 192.168.2.253 23
00200 allow ip from any to any
65535 deny ip from any to any

telnetting to the host is immediately rejected, but nothing is logged.
I added the following lines to my kernel config and rebuilt it.

# Firewalling Options
options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=30

I was not getting any log messages on my console, so I added the
following section to /etc/syslog.conf
# IPFW logging
!ipfw
*.*                                             /var/log/ipfw.log

I touched the logfile and restarted syslog, but nothing is being
logged to that file.

With ipf you have to run ipmon to log stuff. Is there any similar
utility for ipfw that I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

--