Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 2015 22:43:26 +0100
From:      Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Running a PPC system over FireWire from second machine

I found this
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/target-mode-firewire-but-not-so-specifically.30997/
but it's a few years old and possibly incorrect even then.

What I'd like to do is put a FireWire card in my FreeBSD NAS, and then
export a ZVOL on a specific FireWire port in target mode so that it can
be used as a raw block device on a Mac Mini as its root filesystem.
This will have the advantage of being faster than the internal 2.5" IDE
HDD and also having the ability to take snapshots and backups from the
NAS system.

I was curious to know if this was technically possible, and if so if
anyone had done this and had success?

Is there any limitation on this if so?  Are both 400 and 800 ports
bidirectional in this manner?  I have 400-400 and 400-800 cables, so I
could use either on the target (the Mac Mini is 400 only).  Before I
purchase any hardware, I want to be certain this would work out.

Thanks all,
Roger