Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 09:10:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        durham@durham (Jim Durham)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org
Subject:   Re: Specs on a Hitachi CM2085me monitor anybody ??

> > Hmm, in the version of syscons that I'm currently working on there is
> > support for adding a new ioctl via a LKM, that can be used to load
> > special code to modify you timing. Also If you can tell me what
> > H&V-sync your monitor can handle, I can probably do a small patch
> > to the mode setting code that will allow you to use your monitor
> > for std modes ie 80x25, 80x50 etc...
> > Just remember that it s a hack, and nothing that I will admit to
> > have done :)
>
> I'd like to see this also, as I have a fixed-scan 19 inch monitor.. Just
> some general guidelines to hack it myself would do the trick. Where's
> the mode setting code? Syscons.c?

Hmm, this might even be the best idea, I'll see if I can get
the time to write down how to do this. Remember though that
it is only possible to use the std clock rates, which probably
will result in some strange resulution.
For the adventurous look at the function set_mode() in syscons.c
that together with a description on how the videomodes are
stored in the BIOS will do the trick. I even remember seeing a little
util for DOS(I know...) that allowed one to play with the video regs
"online". That would give the values you need...

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.