Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 23:15:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: mail [sending itself mail, backspacing?]

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
> > > and when I use a terminal I can't backspace, is their any  way to fix that??>>..................
> PL> There is definitely a way to fix backspace issues.  In the syscons (console mode, non X-Windowed), when I hit either the Backspace or Delete key, the character to the left is destroyed/removed.  However, in emacs (editor), backspace for some reason sends C-h (ctrl-h) to emacs.  What shell do you use?
> If you use the stty command, you'll see where it maps ctrl-h to be erase. That is, in fact, what code the backspace key sends. If your shell isn't doing this, then you can issue the command:
> stty erase ^h
> where the ^h is really those characters - shift-6 followed by the h. This will tell the shell that ctrl-h (or the backspace key) is to delete the previous character.
> Of course, it is a problem in emacs, where ctrl-h invokes the help system. Keymapping in X fixes this problem, so that the backspace key doesn't send ctrl-h, but rather sends the DEL key. I'm not sure how to do that in the console.
> --
> Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
> Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog:
>      http://jdarnold.tzo.com/FreeBSD

Awesome!  I'd forgotten that just typing "stty" shows current keybindings.
And I'd forgotten all the times that the command "stty sane" saved me...

Anyways, I fixed the problem by consulting:
http://www.geek-girl.com/emacs/faq/121.html

And put these lines in my ~/.emacs file
;; (global-set-key "\C-h" 'buffer-menu)
(global-set-key [?\C-h] 'delete-backward-char)
(global-set-key [?\C-x ?h] 'help-command)

I commented out the buffer-menu one, but emacs users will love this command!

P.S. Jonathan, please CC all recipients in detail when replying to posts.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder