Date:      Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:00:47 -0700
From:      "Devin Teske" <dteske@vicor.com>
To:        "'Dieter BSD'" <dieterbsd@engineer.com>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: [RELEASE] New Boot-Loader Menu

I agree with all those decrees.

I'll make the next version will meet all those requirements in its "out of
the box" configuration.

If users want to make it colorized, I'll provide a knob that can be added to
loader.conf(5) (how about ``loader_color=3D1'' ??).

Already on the to-do list is to support ``loader_logo=3D...'' in
/boot/loader.conf

> Putting brackets around letters (and numbers) sounds good.
> If there is room, perhaps add a message explaining that
> the user should enter one of the choices in brackets.
>=20

I think I'm going to have to play with this and see what we come up with. I
don't want to make it too "busy" if you know what I mean. That's with
respect to the brackets. As for adding a messages... things are a bit tight
and again, I'm afraid of making it too cluttered. I'll post some screenshots
of some mock-ups tomorrow, incorporating the various requests.

> A help option would be useful, giving a reminder of what
> things like ACPI and APIC stand for, what "safe" mode does, etc.
>=20

This is not altogether infeasible. Since this menu (unlike the current one)
has the ability to be wiped from screen and then recalled completely in the
original state is was left in ... implementing an F1 feature that reads text
from a file would be very do-able.

I was at one time experimenting with reading a "version.inf" file from disk
to be displayed at the bottom-right of the screen (under beastie logo) ... a
way of indicating the version of either loader, OS, both, or more (could be
auto-generated as part of release(7) for each/every release).

> Would be nice: "uname -v" of the kernel it will boot.
>=20

That's a bit more technically challenging. I'll have another look at the
FICL words available, but I don't recall if there was a way to crawl the
object space of the items loaded with ``load'' (looking for the uname). I'm
open to suggestions if you had an idea of how to do this in Forth -- else
I'd think this would need to be a loader(8) modification.

> Would be nice: a user friendly way to boot from a different
> disk/partition/kernel.=A0 Without the user having to know the
> mapping between what the firmware calls disks and what FreeBSD
> calls disks.=A0 And without writing anything to disk.
>=20

That's also a bit technically challenging in Forth, I think. Open to
suggestions, but again would likely be best implemented as a change to
loader(8), no?

> Would be nice: a fix for having to lean on a key autorepeating
> for a couple seconds.
>=20

Could you explain? I don't follow.
--=20