Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 18:39:29 BST
From:      Michael Ryan <mike@NetworX.ie>
To:        FreeBSD Support <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Two Ethernet cards in one machine on same IP network

I've a system (FreeBSD 2.1R) with two NICs: WD8013 and NE2000.
I want to plug both of them into the same IP network,
on the same cable.

I ifconfig the WD8013 (ed0) first, and it goes fine.
When I ifconfig the NE2000 (ed1), I get an error message
as follows.

# cat /etc/hosts
194.9.12.7      h1
194.9.12.8      h2
# ifconfig ed0 inet h1
# ifconfig ed1 inet h2
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

When I then do "ifconfig ed1" the parameters (IP address,
netmask and broadcast address) are fine, but I can't ping
the IP address (h2), even from the machine itself.  The
routing table shows that the address (194.9.12.8) is reached
via link#1 -- which is sort of correct, as that's the
interface to the 194.9.12.0 network, but that's not what
I expected (link#1 == ed0).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike