Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 02 21:38:38 PST
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com (Perry Hutchison)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't do a clean reinstall?

> If you installed XFree86 from the CD you  have version 3.3.6. I strongly
> recommend uninstalling that and installing version 4 ...

In order to clean up both this and the "faith0" mess, I attempted to do
a clean reinstall (by which I intend that the install should "newfs"
all filesystems).  I thought the disklabel screen indicated that it was
going to do that, but after I said Yes to the "are you sure" screen it
popped up something about using an existing root partition.  There was
no apparent way at that point to say "NO!  WRONG!  NEWFS EVERYTHING!".
I hit ESC instead of cr or space, but it still went ahead; and after it
had finished:

* It remembered its formerly-set hostname (which is OK, but provides
  a further indication that it did *not* do a clean install).

* It tried to config XFree again *even though I had been very careful
  NOT to select it this time*.

What does it take to remove all traces of the first installation and
start completely over?  Do I have to replace the drive, or use some
third-party utility to wipe it?