Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:46:36 +0200
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Encoding from bktr

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 05:07:44 -0500
Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org> wrote:

EZ> Mencoder looks like they dont support the bktr driver yet.

	The current version does - pretty well too. The only problem is
that the only codec that can handle the format it captures in is the divx4
one (from xvid IIRC) there's no way to get it into any of the other codecs.

EZ> Am I missing any one? What is the best way to encode off of bktr?

	I have a bktr grab for ffmpeg working well - but it has to be a recent
cvs snapshot of ffmpeg to do a good job. Alex Teslik has put together a port
including it at http://www.acatysmoof.com/ffmpeg. Expect it to be updated
shortly with a capture fix from me (Alex already has it), and an updated
ffmpeg snapshot with new features and some PTS fixes.

	I think that with a fast XP or P4 it should make real time high
quality mpeg1 in 768x576 :) It takes about half of my 1200/266 to do
384x288 real time, which makes for a nice VCR and I can even program it
easily :)  - at, cron ... these things I can cope with. I just have
to remember not to hit the system with a heavy load while recording :)

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun