Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 12:23:04 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP net printers

    Christoph> I could connect to this printer using smbprint (samba)
    Christoph> but the question came up in me "How does FreeBSD cope
    Christoph> with these TCP/IP printservers"?

Some print servers which can masquerade as LPD should work directly.
Just set up your /etc/printcap with a remote printer entry.  The
printer itself should queue and spool incoming jobs.

Yours sounds like it isn't one of those, given that it's listening on
port 10001, which certainly isn't LPD.  In that case, it might be the
kind where you just open the port, throw data on it, close it, and
watch the paper spew out.  A quick perl script which does just that
suffices as a complete LPD input filter for such a printer.

I document both these cases in the FreeBSD handbook, section
``Printing.''

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov