Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 10:34:56 +0200
From:      tobi@bland.fido.de (Tobias Ernst)
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TA Recommendations wanted...

Hallo Hellmuth!

 HM> I guess that the Zyxel's functionality is better than isdn4bsd's.

It depends. A TA has certain advantages over solutions like isdn4bsd or a CAPI
(like you don't have to fiddle with the kernel, it runs rock solid, has quite
some additional features, you can use every software that can use a modem with
it, etc.), but also there are some disadvantages. With a TA, you can only serve
one channel at a time (because there is only one COM-Port to connect it to), so
you normally cannot run multiple features like an answering machine and PPP
simultaneously, or two simultaneous PP connections. It just depends what you
need, I personally use both solutions.

On my OS/2 server, I am using a TA (USR I-Modem), because I found that all CAPI
drivers that I tried made the system subtly instable (one crash in 30 days or
so), while on my FreeBSD machine, I preffered the ISDN card / isdn4bsd solution
because until now it seems that isdn4bsd is really very stable. :-).

Now the only remaining wish is that isdn4bsd would support something like
/dev/ttyI on Linux, i.E. X.75 devices that can be controlled with AT commands
and can connect to a remote "cFos" or TA with i.E. minicom or special purpose
software.

I know, the source is open and ... ;-).

Viele Gruesse,
Tobias