Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 18:45:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca (Michael Richards)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Writing an X app

> I am going to write an X app, but I don't know what to use. Is XLib common?
> I have access to documentation for it. Does anyone know where I can get XLib
> for freebsd?

Xlib is included with the XFree86 distribution, if you install the
X developer support.  It also includes the Athena Widgets Toolkit
and various other developer support libraries.

> If XLib is not the standard, what is?

Oooh, X standards, now that's a bag of worms.  For developing small
applications, the Athena toolkit might be OK.  It's pretty unweildy.
Xlib would be like writing the application in assembler, unless it is
really tiny.  I'd look into one or more toolkits.

I've used the V toolkit for a couple of itty bitty apps, and one
relatively big one I've been working on for far too long now.
I like the toolkit, and it configures easily on FreeBSD.  Just edit
the top-level makefile, make a FreeBSD target from the SunOS, and
type make.

One of these days I really should contribute this to FreeBSD as a
port and/or package.  If I just had more 'round tuits!'