Date:      Sun, 01 Mar 2009 20:23:33 -0800
From:      Andrew Moran <sneepre@me.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SpamAssassin/Perl eating enormous amounts of memory?

Hey guys,

After having lots of problems with memory and 7.1/ZFS, I first
switched everything to 64-bit (amd64), and then I had a new problem,
so I eventually gave up and switched back to UFS (saying on amd64
distro/ports), but I'm still having memory issues.

My current one is that SpamAssassin seems to be periodically  eating
up all my memory, causing the server to slow to a crawl until the
kernel kills the process and then I have enormous amounts of free
memory.  Rinse, repeat.   I thought maybe it had something to do with
the fact that I was using multithreaded perl (which I wasn't before I
jumped into 7.1/ZFS), but rebuilding perl (and all its' dependencies)
without threads didn't help.

I have 8GB of physical memory and 16GB of swap memory.   Here is a
line from top showing perl taking 21 gigs of memory:

  6035      0      1  76    0 21190M   791M pfault 0   1:20  4.69%
perl5.8.9

The error messages I get when this is happening look like:

swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
pid 6035 (perl5.8.9), uid 1030, was killed: out of swap space

Obviously I have a memory leak somewhere, but I can't tell where.   I
upgraded to the latest port (synced and compiled today).     I spent
the day doing the "portupgrade -f R r p5-Mail-SpamAssassin" to make
sure everything was rebuilt.  But alas, the problem persists.

Has anyone heard of this?   Or any pointers on what I can do to figure
out what is causing it?

Your advice is much appreciated.

--Andy