Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:31:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        dashevil@sympatico.ca
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.0 and onwards

In message: <1099948496.4379.7.camel@elemental.DashEvil>
            Chris Laverdure <dashevil@sympatico.ca> writes:
: On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 16:00, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <20041107034114.GA56337@crodrigues.org>
: >             Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@crodrigues.org> writes:
: > : RCS, then how about Bitkeeper?  It is quite popular
: >
: > It's license is totally unacceptible for our needs.  It is worse than
: > commerical: it prohibits me from developing my own version control
: > system whether or not I actually use it to do so.
: >
: > Warner
:
: How is that legal?

The Bitkeeper folks have a monopoly on copying Bitkeeper.  They may
ask for money in order for you to allow you to copy Bitkeeper.  They
can also give it away for free and attach whatever strings they want
to the free version in order to have their permission to copy the
code.  This is (or at least was) one of the strings.

Warner