Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:29:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI scanner, sym/ncr driver, pt(4)

(Yeah, an old thread, I know.)

Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:

> However, the SANE back-end driver (man pages sane-epson(5) and
> sane-sscsi(5)) doesn't want to use /dev/pt0.

Well, as I personally dislike the idea to hand out pass(4) devices to
mortal users (not only because their numbering could move, but also
because they allow much more to the application than pt(4)), I'm still
sticking to pt(4) for my HP ScanJet 4c.  Here's my configuration:

/etc/rc.local: (yeah, should be moved to the correct file)

/sbin/devfs rule add path pt0 mode 600 user daemon

/usr/local/etc/sane.d/hp.conf:

scsi HP
# Uncomment the following if you have "Error during device I/O" on SCSI
#   option dumb-read
#
/dev/pt0
  option connect-device

/etc/inetd.conf:

sane    stream  tcp     nowait  daemon:daemon   /usr/local/sbin/saned   saned

No idea whether it would work for your scanner as well.