Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 05:49:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Jolok <joshualokken@attbi.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Freeing space on /usr

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, Jolok wrote:

> Thank you.  I've tried installing other ports, too, and i
> have the same problem--running out of space on /usr.  Any
> ideas how to avoid this problem, short of getting the FreeBSD
> PowerPak (installing ports from CD).
You did not tell us what you found out with
# du
There must be something big on your /usr slice.
I think you will have to find out what it is and get rid of it
or copy it to one of your other slices.
1.4 GB should be more than enough to get some nice graphical
user interface runing.

> Do I have
> to install the entire ports collection, or can I pick and chose?
The entire ports directory should be about 20 MB or so (check
this!) and actually it enables you to pick and choose.

Uli.