Date:      Thu, 06 Aug 1998 08:44:07 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        ben@rosengart.com, dacole@netcom.ca, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New bootstrap config file(s)  (Re: booting with verbosity by default? )

> >> I would like to force my systems to always boot with '-v'..  Is there
> >> any way to do this without operator intervention?
> > Take a look at what boot(8) has to say about /boot.config.
>
> It says that -v doesn't make the cut for boot.config.  The fix is
> trivial, but I haven't yet rolled a pr.
>
> This suggestion hasn't been carefully considered or tested, but if you
> want to fix it yourself, then in /sys/i386/boot/biosboot/boot.c, move
> the bit about "loadflags &= (RB_DUAL | RB_SERIAL);" to right around
> "readfile("boot.config", ...);" about 40 lines up.  (The key is that
> it should be before "getbootdev(boot_config, &loadflags);".)  This
> will effectively allow any boot flags in.

It will become either "-v" in /boot.config or "set bootverbose" in
the new bootstrap config, which I haven't named.

And this is a handy topic to raise it under; the new bootstrap will
(optionally) need access to quite a few files, and we may not really
want these cluttering up the root directory.  How do people feel about
a /boot directory these days?