Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 10:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Grant <mgrant@grant.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/9226: telnetd can log wrong IP address to utmp

The following reply was made to PR bin/9226; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Michael Grant <mgrant@grant.org>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, jooji@neptune.oceancomputer.com
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 19:07:45 +0200

 I'm running 3.4-stable.

 the -u option to telnetd doesn't seem to work, I still get hostnames in
 utmp even when -u0 is used.

 I noticed that it passes the whole hostname to login with the -h
 option.  Why not add an option to login.conf to convert or leave the
 hostname as an IP address, this way, it works for all things in general
 rather than having to change rsh, telnet, and ssh?

 Perhaps a reason not to do this is that some dns trickery with the
 reverse dns could spoof the user's real ip address.

 -Mike