Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 22:13:55 -0400
From:      Ken Lam <klam@awod.com>
To:        Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>, julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UID < 65535?

>Yuck.  That means there really is a hard 16-bit limit if you use NFS to
>store anything?
>
>Has this been addressed at all?

Well maybe in a V4 of NFS?  I haven't seen any new RFCs about NFS since
V3 (which did expand file offset to 64bit).

The only thing which I might suggest is AFS which has ownership
controlled by Kerberos and doesn't have any UID limitations.

Probably now what you were looking for...

-k
---
Ken Lam                                                   lam@awod.com
Integrated Technical Systems
Systems, Networks, and Internet Solutions -- Defining Technology Today
  "'Plug and Play' was only applicable to the original ATARI(tm)"