Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 12:09:35 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Steve Grandi <grandi@noao.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I need a strategy for making my STABLE installation stable

> What's the system doing: DNS server, Semdmail server, FTP server, Net News
> server.

Is it at all possible to get the Net News server moved temporarily
onto another asset?  It would be good to know if it's specifically the
kind of I/O that NNTP does (and it is somewhat unique in the panopaly
of possible network services a FreeBSD box can run) or something
unrelated to it.  Failing that, and I do realize that this box has run
earlier incarnations of FreeBSD without qualm, but..., please verify
that your SCSI termination is correct for all the devices on have on
the chain, including the controller of course.  I've seen almost no
spontaneous reboots as a result of SCSI problems, I'll admit as much,
but it's still something I'd want to verify if I were in your shoes
and has as many devices as you do on the SCSI bus.  I notice that
you're also using a 2940UW controller and can only hope that you're
not using any wide<->narrow drive conversion connectors... :)

Also, since you upgraded, has *anything* been done to the system
hardware?

					Jordan