Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 11:21:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fnord0: disabled, not probed.

[ disabled probe messages ]

> The only conceivable counter-argument I can see concerns the psm0
> entry which is disabled by default in the distributed GENERIC, it
> being a plausible argument that the "psm0: disabled, not probed."
> message at boot-time served as a much needed indicator of its disabled
> state should the user actually want to have it enabled.  On the other
> hand, I seem to recall some folks also talking about the ps/2 mouse
> driver finally reaching a level of maturity where it could just be
> enabled by default, and I'd rather have that happen in any case if
> it's possible.

I've gotten reports that the PS/2 mouse driver still wipes out some
Pentium boxes, so it's still not safe for 2.2 yet.  I'm hoping that by
enabling it in -current we can get more feedback and possibly find a fix
so we can un-disable it in 2.2.

As far as writing out 'disabled' I can see value in doing it both ways,
so I have no preference.

Nate