Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:40:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pre-alpha JDK 1.2.2 patches -- issues

> This is exactly the kind of response I'd hoped posting the issues would
> generate.  Thank you :).

Your welcome.

> > The problem with 2.2.8 is that the compiler can't handle the stock Java
> > sources.  Not sure if this is a problem that's worth spending alot of
> > time on (although my main development box is still running 2.2.8, so
> > we'll see.)
>
> How about installing gcc 2.95.2 (I believe there is still some support for
> FreeBSD-a.out in its source) on such a box?  Thats the only way around it
> I can think of at the moment.

Been there.  I ended up with a bunch of __virtual_bletch errors.

> > > 3.  Alpha support.
> >
> > The Blackdown work should help here.  If not JDK1.2, then the 1.3 work
> > might be a better place to start for the Alpha team.
>
> Right.  I don't believe that source code patches are available from
> Blackdown at the moment though :(.  I'm really hoping there will be some
> in the future though, as they would be most helpful.

Sun just released the entire blackdown build as SCSL today/yesterday.  I
downloaded it earlier.  Check out the Early Release section on JD
Connection.

> > > 4.  Assembler version of executeJava
> >
> > Keith got this work late in the game, and the patches to make it work
> > are now part of the JDK1.1 patchset.  If my memory serves me well, it
> > had to do with the use of a certain Gas opcode that whacked a register
> > that we didn't realize.  We needed to push/pop one of a register before
> > calling it, but I don't remember which one.
>
> Excellent!  I can see that I need to look through the 1.1.8 patches more
> closely (they've been a great help so far :).

Glad to be of help.

> > > 5.  Sun JIT compiler.
> > >     It appears that the Sun JIT compiler (libsunwjit.so) is supplied as a
> > >     precompiled Solaris x86 binary without source code.  This leaves us
> > >     rather hamstrung in getting this to work.
> >
> > This is where I personally gave up.  I talked with the Blackdown team at
> > JavaOne, and they implied that a Sun engineer gave them a binary copy of
> > the JIT compiled for Linux.  This is also where *most* of the speedups
> > the Linux JDK has over the FreeBSD JDK exist, so unless we get a JIT,
> > then the 1.2 stuff is going to be *slower* than the 1.1 stuff.
> >
> > It seems a bit counter-productive to spend alot of time building a
> > native version when we can't even run the code at a decent speed after
> > it's all said and done, and all attempts to motivate Sun or other
> > vendors have met with extreme resistance.
>
> Perhaps we could include shujit or TYA as a default JIT?  I'm not sure if
> either of their licenses allow this or how well they work with the code,
> but I think its worth looking into.

It might not be 'legal' to do so though.  We can make it an easy
addition, but I don't think we can bundle it as part of the tarballs.
One could argue that we're distributing a modified version, and that may
lead to legal trouble.

> > >     b. jdga
> >
> > I don't rememeber looking at this.
>
> The Blackdown JDK doesn't appear to have this in it, so its currently
> low on the priority list until someone works out exactly where it fits in :).

*grin*

> > >     c. cmm
> >
> > I don't know what this is.
>
> I think I'm going to email the Blackdown folk and see if I can't find out :).

Great, keep us informed.

> > > 9.  Merging from 1.1.8 patches.
> >
> > I'd like to think I can help here.  If not with coding, I can sure help
> > to answer questions.
>
> That would be much appreciated :).

Fire away!

> > Greg, thanks for doing this.  As the most visible member of the porting
> > team, all I can say is sorry for not doing more.  Maybe this will
> > energize some new folks to jump on board here...
>
> Thats what I'm hoping :).  I don't think you or the porting team have
> anything to be sorry about though, this is a volunteer effort after all!

Thanks again!

Nate