Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 09:11:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (hackers)
Subject:   Re: OK, next question.  IOMEGA Easy accelerator board

Michael Smith écrit / writes:

> > Anybody know what kind of boards these IOMEGA tape drive boards are, and
> > the level of complexity in writing a driver for them?  These little backup
> > tape units are great under win95, but of course, I want FreeBSD.

	They suck under FreeBSD.

> > It appears to be a floppy disk controller, but apparently runs at a faster
> > rate than the standard FDC.
>
> Then I would guess that it's a floppy-disk controller (or at least something
> rather similar).

	It's not at all recognized, even if you force the card in irq 6,
	and disable on-board floppy.

	I've got one tied up in a P133, using the new 'lft' you mentioned -
	after a few tests it came out that:

	- 'ft' is unusable
	- 'lft' is a bit better
	-  1/4 times it times  out on inquiry (i.e.:  status), and the tape
	  runs for a couple of hours by itself, short of extracting it
	- the tapes need to be fornatted (!), and that takes:

	- 6 hours (3.2 Gb) on the fast controller (i.e. under dos)
	- 16 hours through floppy controller

	Conclusion:

	The thing  went into a w95  box, and we  back up by samba/ ethernet
	the disks :-P

	BTW, the current Windows driver  hangs if you  try to backup  files
	with a Danish 'ø' (that's o with a / in it for non-latin people).

	Hilarious. Not.

> There was a post a little while back (from JMB?) about someone having
> written a new control program for the 'ft' device which was supposed to be
> better than its predecessor.
>
> Note that nobody in their right mind uses those stupid floppytape devices,
> as they're basically impossible to talk to without busy-waiting on them.

	Right.

--
-[ Philippe Regnauld / regnauld@eu.org / +55.4N +11.3E @ Sol3 / +45 31241690 ]-
-[ "To kärve or nøt to kärve, that is the qvestion..."          -- My sister ]-