Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 14:00:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        e9203125@linf.unb.br (Alex Carlos Braga Antao)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: YP : HEELLLLLLLPPPP !

> > You have, of course, installed the DES crypt code from South Africa
> > which YP requires to operate?
>
> Hi,
>
>  No I didn=B4t install DES. I actually have DES from distfiles, but I=B4d=
> =20
> like a help on installing DES. PLEASE.=20
>  Does it install Kerberos automatcaly ? (I don=B4t want Kerberos !)
>  Could you help me install DES ?

It installs the authentication mechanism for Kerberos -- Kerberos is,
I think, already there, but turned off.

After installing DES, you son't need to turn it on.

Have you looked at Greg Lehey's "Installing FreeBSD" on www.freebsd.org?
I think it covers DES in detail.

I'm sorry, but I can't take the time for a remote install of DES
right now; I'm not sure if it would even be legal for me to do,
with the US knowledge export restrictions for cryptography.

You should post to the -questions list about installing DES, and
they will point you at the right place in the FAQ or handbook.

You will have to change your MD5 passwords to DES passords for it
to work; the MD5 passwords are too long for YP to transport, if I
rememebr correctly... besides, unless you are running -current,
installing DES will make passwd only accept DES.  You will need to
do things like install as root and then *immediately* set the root
password using DES, or you will need to reboot in single user mode
and edit the password out of the passwd file manually with vipw.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.