Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2003 04:50:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Dan Strick <strick@covad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel 875P/ICH5 motherboard chipset

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Dan Strick wrote:

> Does anyone know if support for the Intel 875P/ICH5 motherboard chipset
> has yet made it into the stable branch?  (Is release 4.9 likely to have
> it?)  I am mainly interested in the IDE and "native" serial ATA devices.
> There is also a new Intel ethernet controller chip, 82547EI, that is
> designed to interface directly with the 875P chip.  The currently
> supported chip list only goes up to the 82546.
>
> Is there a current version of the supported hardware notes for the
> freebsd-stable branch?

I'm tracking RELENG_5_1 at home on my desktop machine, which has an Abit
IC7-G for the motherboard.  The relevant bit here is that I upgraded that
machine from RELENG_4 after I upgraded the hardware.  It's been almost 2
months now, so my memory is hazy, but I think if you're going to run 4-S
on it, you have to run ACPI.  I can tell you that 5.1-R right off the CD
was just fine with it (I did a binary upgrade then CVSup'd the (very few)
changes to avoid issues like back when things went from a.out to ELF).

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"