Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:54:12 -0500
From:      Normand Leclerc <nospam@ele.etsmtl.ca>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Syslog reports weird things

Kees,

> >   On FreeBSD 4.3-BETA, I get some weird reports from syslog about the
> > kernel.  It  seems like the console's output is interpreted in the

> Hmm. You mean like this? http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=24663

    Kinda like it yes but it is clear text instead of  hex dumps.  The worst
program that does this is lynx.  As soon as I get down a page with lynx, my
screen gets screwed.  I have to ctrl-l it to read (and that it when there are
no ansi codes changing colors)

> and reproduce this. Someone suggested that by doing installworld properly
> (i.e. do installworld in single user mode) this problem can be fixed.

  Hmmm I compiled and installed it in single user mode last night.  I'll have
to check it out tonight (as I'm not home 'till then).  I'll come back to you on
this.  I had problems compiling world when I was using CPUTYPE=pca56 instead of
ev56 ...  Don't know why, it's supposed to be an SX machine.  Anyway, this is a
nother problem not related to this annoying one.  My guess is that it won't
change a thing.

> Which brings me to a related point: as I understand UNIX file system
> semantics, when I overwrite a file by moving another one into its place
>
> ones that hold /usr/src and /usr/obj. Apart from ntpd and sshd single user
> mode looks the same way as multiusermode. What part of the install would not
> work in multiuser mode?

  You are right all along.  There are still deamons depending on libraries when
overwriting.  I beleive there should be some other safest way to do things like
copying everything in temp directories and then, while booting, replacing the
old ones.  I don't know how this could be done tough.  It would require a lot
more space in /usr ...  I don't know what daemons are doing when replacing
libraries on the fly...

Normand Leclerc
lecn1306@ele.etsmtl.ca