Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 01:32:31 -0500
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Jolok <joshualokken@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freeing space on /usr

in message <000e01c1c805$3747d250$06aae00c@jolok>,
wrote Jolok thusly...

> i just made xfree86-4.2.0 after a clean install of FreeBSD 4.5 with the
> ports collection and no x.  the make went well, but after 'make install', it
> cooks along for awhile, then i run out of space on my /usr slice.  i am
> running a 3.2 GB disk with s 1.4GB /usr slice--why is this happening?

(i am assuming that you are building X from the ports.)

installed files will not fill up the 3 GB disk, but X sources --
more so when you have both compressed & expanded sources -- very
well will.  over here, i have 4.0.x installed w/ other X programs in
/usr/X11R6 and they take 281 MB.

if you have space on /, then you may want to move compressed X
source there, create symlinks from there to /usr/ports/distfile.

> What can i safely delete (or move) to make room for X?

you could probably get rid of /usr/src if you have it; delete non
essential parts of /usr/ports as far as plain X is concerned.  you
may want to restore them after installing & testing X, followed by
"make distclean".

> How do I find the size of any particular directory?  Where (in the
> standard documentation) should i read about this?

see du(1) & df(1).  (meaning see man age section 1 of du & df:
"man 1 du".)

 - parv