Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:59:18 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RESOLVED - Re: loader issues...

David O'Brien <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> Works on my AS250.  Are you sure you didn't create the swap partition
> before / in sysinstall?  It has been my experience that we do not boot if
> the `a' (/) partition isn't at a lower offset than `b' (swap).

More generally, we don't boot if 'a' doesn't start at offset 0.
Apparently the bootstrap has this hardcoded and doesn't read the
disklabel.

Among other things that also means that you can't install on a disk
previously used for Linux without relabeling.  (Linux/alpha with
SRM uses the same disklabel format, but 'a' starts at an offset
with the space before 'a' used for the aboot bootstrap, since Linux
ext2fs doesn't leave any space at the beginning of a file system
for the boot blocks.)  Well, you can install just fine, but you
can't boot from it, as I learned the hard way.