Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 00:36:36 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user management stuff

Comments for review:

# std options for all invocations:
# [-uid uid] [-gid gid] [-user user] [-group group] [-home homedir] [-name name]
# [-shell shell] [-realhome realhome] [-after uid]
#
	1. What about a one-char options, i.e. "-u" == "-uid" ?

# -uid	specify the uid to use, otherwise it will be chosen automatically
# 	(see also -after).
#
# -gid	specify the gid to use, otherwise it's set automatically to track
# 	the uid.
#
# -user	Specify the username to use [no default]

	2. Maybe better to have login name not as an option, but
	   as a required (single) argument?

# -group	Check that gid also exists under name group - if not, it should
# 	be added under this name (e.g. group:*:gid:user).  Default is not
# 	to mess with /etc/group.

	3. Considering a Current Policy (separate gid for each uid,
	   (c) Rodney Grimes; I personally like this approach) how
	   can I skip /etc/group modification?

# -home	Specify the location of the home directory.  By default it will
# 	go to /home/${user} if not overriden in /etc/adduser.cf
						 ^^^^^^^^^^
	4. "Are you sure in is wise?" :)  I mean the fact that this file
	   exists at all.

# -name	Specify full name (+ any other GCOS info).

	5. You mean "a single string arg, possibly with a comma separated list
	   of GCOS fields in it"?

# -shell	Specify a different shell (than the default) to use.
#
# -realhome  If different from home, make home dir here instead and
# 	make a symlink from home to here.

	Nice approach.

# -after	If chosing uid automatically, start search after this uid.
# 	Search will stop at the next free "hole".
#
#
# Commands:
#
# adduser -add [..stdopts] [-skel skeldir]

 	Got it.

# adduser -delete [key]

	6. Is "key" == "logname" or it may be specified as, for example,
	   "-uid XXX" or "-realname 'Random J. User'" ?

# adduser -exists [key]

 	7. To be able to get an exit status of 0 if "yes" 1 otherwise?

# adduser -modify -uid 701 -name "Irving Q. Steenbottle"
#
# 	Finds uid 701 and changes the name field accordingly, leaving
# 	other fields unaltered.

	8. This means priorities of matches? I.e. you doesn't want
	   to modify uid if mr. "Irving Q. Steenbottle" is
	   there already with uid 700?

# > 	What the program _must not_ do? What kind of UI is
#
# Crash?  Ruin the password file?  :-)

	(-;  ... or change spwd.db without altering master.passwd.

# I think the UI issue should be left alone to implement one level
# further up, if desired.  The first UI interface should probably be
# libdialog based, just for consistency.

	Ok. Leaving it alone for now.

# Oh yeah, it should also read an /etc/adduser.cf for default
# configuration information (which I think it should *not* prompt the
# user about - just choose reasonable defaults!  The "adduser
# configuration" phase on the first startup of our current adduser
# really confuses a lot of people! :-(

	Oh yes :-)  See q. 4 above.

	I'm saving your original draft spec and waiting one day before
	doing actual start (anyway, tomorrow I'll be busy lurking
	aroung looking how to replace a Conner CPF1060S where news
	spool lived until an hour ago :(  It finally died,
	after 3 days of NCR writing error msgs to the console.)

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	An undocumented feature is a coding error.