Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:25:17 -0600
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        grehan@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Success on G4 XServe

On Jan 22, 2008, at 1:44 PM, Peter Grehan wrote:
>> 1) Very strange, very rare but specific problems with the USB
>> keyboard.
>
> This may be a generic USB problem: there have been a few similar
> reports on x86 platforms.

This seems specific to this keyboard. If I use a real Apple keyboard,
or a keyboard that came with one of our Dell servers the problem
doesn't occur. But, the keyboard that does have this problem works
fine in OSX and the OF console on this server... very strange. :)

>> 4) ZFS doesn't seem to be getting built... Is it x86 only?
>
> It/s x86/amd64 for FreeBSD, though it runs on 32-bit big-endian
> sparc on Solaris so it's probably a matter of getting it to build.
> However, I doubt there is enough kernel virtual address space on
> FreeBSd/ppc for it to work effectively (512Mb).

Yeah, I didn't think it'd be very efficient due to that exact problem.

>> 6) Running bison on here seems to produce incorrect output when
>> building mysql's parser.
>> The bison output of the parser built on a ppc system doesn't match
>> what's built on x86.
>
> One thing to look at here is any build warnings in the bison port on
> ppc. Anything to do with signed/unsigned chars, e.g. warnings about
> comparisons always succeeding, may be the issue.

I'm still digging through what's wrong here, I don't think the problem
is where I thought it was originally. Completely wiping/reinstalling
mysql made the problem go away. So, I'm looking at what else could be
going on.

-- Kevin