Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 07:37:18 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Terrible problems with A7V-E mobo/AMD 1200 Mhz duron [Long message]

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 11:32:55PM +0100, Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
> I had exactly the same problems some months ago with the following hardware:
>
> 	Asus A7V-133
> 	Thunderbird 1400
>
> The motherboard was completely flakey.

I spent another day on it, and I think I have finally found out what the
problem is. The A7V-E cannot handle a 1200Mhz CPU, downclocking it to
1170 seems to have solved the problem...further tests today should
confirm this.

I am not sure I completely understand this..if anyone can explain how
this could cause SIG 11's at *precisely* the same point in a buildworld
I would be glad to hear it. I loaded NetBSD, and recompiled it's
userland and it failed also repeatedly at the same point in the process
(not the same program as in FreeBSD, but at the same point on repeated
runs of the NetBSD equivalent of buildworld).

Second thing is, memtest86 is not completely trustworthy when you are
using Duron chips (or at least this one). I note the author on his
write-up says there are some known issues with the Athlon. I will email
him with some details of what I see...maybe another AMD quirk.
The memory it is complaining about shows no errors on a board with an
Intel PIII, but does on a board with a Duron (this persists even with
the downclocking that solves the SIG11's). As I mentioned, I think it is
trying to test block moves on non-existant memory.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>