Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 15:29:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

> You don't think it might be prudent, given the low benefit-to-risk
> ratio of /usr/src/games, to take steps to simply avoid a repetition
> of this problem in a known trouble spot?

Just to give you another nice argument: There are some security
headaches with the games; presently they are just minor nits, but
still at cross purposes with a security goal[1].  If we unbundle them,
they are much less of a problem, as much fewer people will have them.

The problem in question is only of interest on heavily secured
servers.  Anybody that install a bunch of games from ports and allow
untrusted user logins on a heavily secured server will have little
sympathy from me.

Eivind.

[1] I'm not going to specify this goal in public; let the crackers
strain their minds without me helping them.  This is only a minor DoS
attack.  Trust Me.