Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:01:24 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NATed or Private Network Setups

> On Oct 24, 2014, at 5:08 PM, Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>=20
> Hi All,
> Has anyone deployed bhyve using NAT'd or private network setups?  I've
> been able to deploy bridged interfaces, but I was wondering if anyone
> has done other network topologies.  Is there anything preventing this
> from happening code wise?  I reckon it could be achieved by creating a
> pseudo interface?

Rather than supporting something like epair(4) directly, I believe the plan i=
s to allow connecting a bhyve VM to a user-space virtual switch on the host.=
 Neither is currently available to my knowledge.

For a NAT setup today you should be able to add your VM's tap(4) interface a=
s the only member of a bridge on the host and assign an IP address to the br=
idge interface. Services like DHCP for this virtual subnet would need to als=
o be configured on the host in addition to whatever NAT you want to use.

For an internal-only network between two or more VMs on the host you could a=
lso just use a bridge containing only the VM tap adapters. If you don't want=
 the host to participate in the network then don't put an IP on the bridge.=