Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 20:33:30 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Practical limit for number of TCP connections?

In the last episode (Dec 18), Kevin Day said:
> I've started a side project that I'm trying to figure out how to
> scale. The end result will be a test-based realtime chat (IRC, java,
> or otherwise) that will bring very large crowds. You wouldn't believe
> how many geeks will show up on IRC for a TV/Movie star.... even
> lessor known ones.
>
> I've found that a poorly advertised event with a not-so-famous
> actress can draw 3-5 thousand people, easily. If I'm able to make
> this grow, I'm sure that number will go much higher.
>
> What's the practical number of TCP connections per server? Is there
> an easy guideline for how ram the kernel will be taking per
> connection/route/socket/fd/etc?

As a datapoint, the busiest IRC server in 1998 was irc.blackened.com,
which peaked at around 8700 simultaneous connections (with a lot more
traffic than you're likely to see).  I forget whether it was running
2.2.7 or 3.0, but it was definitely FreeBSD, running a standard ircd.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com