Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 10:12:26 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        "Mikhail A. Sokolov" <mishania@demos.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current panics..

>David Greenman wrote:
>>
>> >It comes out (once again, emprecially) that this is somehow caused
>> >by NMBCLUSTERS being >12288. Strange, since I recall wcarchive has it set to
>> >1024*48 or something, right?
>>
>>    Wcarchive does NOT run a standard kernel. It has various tweaks, such as
>> greatly expanded kernel virtual address space, which are specific to that
>> machine and not appropriate for 99.999% of FreeBSD users. NMBCLUSTERS on
>
>Are those changes useful for networking only boxes (eg. Proxies)?

   Possibly. Depends on the machine.

>Do you mind to write a small doc what to tweak where?

   One of these days, perhaps, but I'm too busy with other things to do it
anytime soon.

>> for 2GB for user processes and 2GB for the kernel (contrast that with
>> standard FreeBSD which is 3.75GB user and .25GB kernel).
>
>Does that mean the box will run with 4Gig of Memory (on the Xeon box)?

   The amount of physical memory that the machine supports is completely
independant of the size of per-process/kernel virtual memory. I'm sure that
FreeBSD/wcarchive will need further tweaking before working with 'full'
memory, but I'll have to wait another month to find out. :-)

-DG

David Greenman