Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 16:42:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Reinier Bezuidenhout <Reinier.Bezuidenhout@KryptoKom.DE>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fxp 10/100 and device timeouts

Hi ...

I am doing some througput tests and I'm running into some problems
with the Intel ether express 10/100B cards.

I am using ttcp with udp packets and using different packet sizes. The
connections are 100MB full-duplex connections with x-over cables.  The
setup is as follows.

PII400(fxp) ------ PII400(2x fxp) ------- PII300(fxp)

I am using the PII400 in the middle as a bridge (drawbridge code)
and it's running 2.2.7-STABLE ... the version of the fxp driver
is 1.21.2.14 ...

The following seems to happen ....

When transmitting data from both sides through the machine in the middle
and using packet sizes less than 256 bytes, I start to get device timeout
messages.

When doing the same transmit from only the one side ... there is no
problems.  Sometimes I get up to 4 device timeouts when transferring
32MB of data with these small packets.  The error occurs on both the
fxp devices (fxp0 and fxp1).

I also tried to use a 2.2.6-RELEASE installation, but the same thing
happens.  Any ideas ?

Thanx
Reinier